Diy clothes ideas easy
Heres the correct way to take in a shirt (or make a shirt smaller):
Lay your oversized shirt below on a flat surface, smoothing it out flat. Put a shirt that fits well directly on top of the larger shirt, making certain it is smoothed out completely flat and not bunched up anywhere. Tug the sleeve inside the shirt as shown above so you can see the scoop of the armhole.
How to take in a shirt: sewing
Now every you need to do is set the sleeves back in. Leaving the shirt inside out, turn the sleeves correct side out.
Put the shirt and one sleeve as you see in the photo under, making certain the buttons on the cuff are below toward the table (if theyre up, you need to switch sleeves). Slide the sleeve inside the armhole, as shown in the second photo below.
Match up the raw edges of the sleeve and armhole, easing the material to fit. Pin well, then sew.
Repeat with the other sleeve, press your seams, and your new smaller shirt is ready to wear!
Note: if youre looking for info on how to size below a pattern visit this post from Melly Sews, .
Want more sewing tutorials? Check out these posts:
20 free t-shirt patterns
Easy swing dress pattern
Swing tunic sewing pattern for women
How to sew a half circle skirt
20 sewing projects for beginners
This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may get a commission if you purchase through our links.
Please read our full disclosure here.
Boho chic is one of our all-time favorite style vibes, but it can be tricky to tug off. Wouldnt it be grand if you had a simple, simple cheat sheet to assist you nail bohemian style in a flash?
Thanks to the popularity of our previous Highway Style Essentials and Classic and Timeless Essentials lists, we decided to expand the series further and cover a few more favorite style aesthetics so, we made a list for every you boho gals!
Even if you just consider yourself a boho lite or just slightly whimsical dresser, this list provides the must-haves for a boho chic glance, AKA the essential pieces you need to maximize your wardrobes versatility.
Its just a starting point and, of course, your wardrobe will differ depending on your own personal style.
When you finish reading, be certain to leave a comment and let us know what items you own, which ones we may own forgotten, and your favorite ways to style these pieces!
Lets jump correct in to the boho chic style essentials:
A Printed Maxi Dress
Products: Abercrombie & Fitch, Lulus, Bloomingdales, Modcloth
We every owe a huge thank you to Rachel Zoe for making printed maxi dresses such a boiling item.
Glance for geometric or nature-inspired prints for additional bonus points!
- Wear a printed maxi with (#10) chunky jewelry and wedge sandals for a perfect date night look.
- Try a (#12) denim vest with a printed maxi to make it a bit more casual.
- Add a (#6) distressed sweater to turn the dress into a skirt. Finish with (#2) ankle boots.
A Hippie-Chic Purse
Products (clockwise from top): Sole Society, Kohls, Zara, NOVICA, Kohls, Zara
Whether your prefer distressed leather or cloth, fringe or suede, a tiny cross-body or an oversized hobo bag, having a dependable and great bohemian purse is key to tying your outfit every together.
- Cross-body bags are awesome because they hold your hands free.
This is especially useful at concerts or festivals! A cute, fringy, small- to medium-sized bag would be perfect for this.
- Another huge trend with the boho crowd is the oversized, floppy purse. Glance for a style with handles and a shoulder strap for maximum versatility.
- The excellent ol canvas messenger bag is and always will be a staple for earthy girls. They also make the perfect book bags on campus for light study sessions.
A Floppy Brimmed Hat
Products (clockwise from top left): Nordstrom, Topshop, Ancient Navy, Uniqlo
Dont splurge on a floppy straw sun cap Ive found that expensive versions dont hold their shape much better than the inexpensive ones you can discover at Forever This way, you can afford to purchase a new one every season.
P.S.: felt versions are awesome for freezing weather seasons!
- A simple straw sun cap paired with a sundress, (#5) sandals, and (#14) large sunglasses is the perfect summer outfit for fairs, outdoor concerts, picnics, and more.
- A floppy brimmed felt cap add the perfect gypsy flair to any drop or winter outfit.
Take a tip from Vanessa Hudgens and pair one with high-waisted skinny jeans, wedges, a cropped top, and an open button-down shirt.
- Throw one on with a pair of boyfriend jeans, a fitted v-neck, a (#15) huge scarf, and ballet flats and call it a day.
A Versatile Vest
Products: Gap, Bloomingdales, Abercrombie & Fitch, Sans Souci
Vests are awesome because they add pizzazz to so numerous diverse pieces in your closet. Attempt them with floral minidresses, simple maxi dresses, or even a plain t-shirt.
The combinations are endless!
- Denim vests glance great with beautiful much everything in your closet. Attempt one with a plain v-neck t-shirt, a maxi skirt, and sandals. Finish with a (#3) hippie headpiece.
- I also love the boho chic vibe of a crocheted vest. Attempt wearing one with a floral dress, or a pair of (#13) flared jeans and a t-shirt.
- Fringe vests, although extremely hippie-chic, can also come across as costume-y when paired with too numerous other boho items. To hold from looking over-the-top, wear a fringe vest with a little black dress, or skinny jeans and a tee.
Oversized, Patterned Scarves
Products: Gap, Mango, Mango, Popmap
This is one of the most significant items on this list.
A large, oversized, patterned scarf is essential to taking any outfit and giving it an additional laid-back, earthy, chill boost.
I purchase mine at Charlotte RusseandForever 21because I love to own several inexpensive ones to select from, but designer scarves also make great investment pieces.
- For a cool Stevie Nicks sort of vibe, wrap a pashmina around your shoulders, along with a (#1) maxi skirt and a (#6) loose knit sweater. Finish with (#2) ankle boots and a (#3) headwrap.
- A plain white t-shirt, skinnies, and pair of casual canvas sneakerswill glance instantly cool with an oversized scarf. Finish with (#10) earthy statement jewelry and a (#11) hobo bag.
- Theres tons of ways that you can fold, tie, or pin large scarves to make other pieces.
Tie one into a halter and pair with (#13) flared jeans. Wrap one around your waist as a belt. Tie one to the handle of your (#11) hippie purse. The options are endless.
Chic Headwraps and Hairbands
Products: Mango, Nordstrom, Forever 21, Nordstrom, Nordstrom
Hippie babe Nicole Richie might not own invented the headwrap, but she certainly helped boost its popularity! I started out wearing thin hippie headbands, but own now graduated to bolder cloth styles. Bonus points for those of you bold enough to attempt a flower crown. You can discover tons of cheap pieces at Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters!
Here are a few enjoyment ways to wear them:
- Thinnish, elastic hippie headbands glance grand across your forehead, but I prefer to wear them back an inch or two past my hairline, almost love a halo.
This is also a excellent way to wear a headwrap if the elastic in it is too tight to comfortably wear across your forehead. Cloth styles glance grand love this too!
- Hairbands are a grand way to add glamour and fashion to a bad-hair-day ponytail.
- Turbands are one of my favorite trends correct now. Strangely though, Ive found that they glance best with curly, wavy, or textured hair rather than my natural pin-straight state. Attempt spritzing with salt spray and scrunching, or curling large sections before wearing.
Neutral-Colored Ankle Boots
Products (clockwise from top left):Sole Society, Ancient Navy, Century 21, Gap, Saks Off 5th
Slouchy, distressed booties seem to be boho girls Mary-Kate Olsen and Vanessa Hudgens staples. I prefer styles that are loose around the ankles, so theyre perfect for wearing with both shorter skirts and tucking into skinny jeans. Its up to you whether you desire a heel or not, but make certain the heel isnt too high or skinny so your boots will stay comfortable while watching concerts or walking to class.
Here are some of my favorite ways to wear ankle boots:
- Wear ankle boots with skinny jeans, a (#6) loose knit sweater, and a (#3) hippie headpiece for a glance thats ideal for class or a casual date.
- Ankle boots glance awesome with dresses and skirts!
Go for more fitted shoes when wearing maxi skirts, but the shorter the skirt, the clunkier you can make your shoes!
- Im crazy about the fringed suede style ankle boots Ive been seeing so much of. Those would glance fab with a hi-lo skirt and a bold (#10) statement necklace.
Products (clockwise from top left): Express, Buckle, ASOS, ASOS, Forever 21
Oversized sunglasses transcended boho girls and became a huge fashion trend just a few years ago.
Although they arent as favorite in the mainstream anymore, theyre still a bohemian staple. I tend to break, scratch, and lose sunglasses, so I typically just get inexpensive pairs from Charlotte Russe or Forever
- Is there anything more chic than a messy bun, bright lipstick, and a pair of huge sunglasses? I love how model-off-duty cool this glance seems to be.
- If large circular styles arent up your alley, go for cat-eye sunglasses, aviators, or wayfarer styles.
The point is that theyre oversized, so the shape is negotiable.
- For a extremely hippie glance, attempt John Lennon-esque circular wire sunglasses. Theyre bold and will definitely make a statement.
Geometric, Eye-Catching Prints
Products: Lord & Taylor, Zara, Zara, Nordstrom
To assist add a free-spirited, worldly edge to your wardrobe, nothing can replace the wealthy glance of a bold, geometric printed item. They come in every items and price points, so ponder carefully about what piece youll wear most and how much youre willing to spend before taking the plunge!
- One of my favorite items in my closet is a BB Dakota thick wool jacket covered with geometric patterns. It looks so warm and cozy paired with skinny jeans, (#2) ankle boots, and a hat.
- Multicolored fitted mini skirts are back with a vengeance, and I loves ones with chevrons and parallelograms on them.
Tuck a chambray shirt into one, and wear with (#5) gladiator sandals.
- Take a tip from Nicole Richie and wear a full and flowy printed maxi dress. It will glance great with platform sandals and (#10) chunky wood bangles.
Products: American Eagle Outfitters, Zara, American Eagle Outfitters, Buckle
Remember your favorite jeans circa ? Mine are way past the point of ever fitting me again, but a few years ago, I couldnt assist but lust after the endless, lean legs and perky butt that flared jeans seemed to give me!
You can discover high-waisted hippie versions online at at places love Urban Outfitters, but American Eagles Artist style jeans are simple to discover, inexpensive, and super comfortable.
- Flared denim has a way of making certain pairs of shoes glance fantastic. My favorite thing to wear with bell bottoms is a pair of high-heeled clogs. Bell bottoms also glance fab with platform sandals, (#5) gladiators, or pumps.
- Pair flared jeans with a (#6) crocheted sweater and a large, colorful (#15) scarf.
Finish with a top knot and a (#14) huge pair of sunnies.
- Maybe this is in bad taste, but Ill go ahead and confess it I sometimeslove the glance of wearing dresses with jeans! The key to making it glance cool and not frumpy is to wear extremely short tunic-length dresses that arent too poofy at the hem. Finish the outfit with platform sandals and a (#11) boho cross-body bag.
A Simple Maxi Skirt
Products: Gap, ASOS, Target, Nordstrom Rack
A grand maxi skirt will be a piece that you turn to over and over again when crafting cool bohemian outfits.
The best ones are simple, solid-colored, and not too poofy as they are the easiest to build outfits from.
- Wear a simple maxi skirt with a graphic t-shirt and a (#12) versatile vest. Finish with (#5) gladiator sandals and a top knot.
- For a quick and comfortable outdoor ensemble, wear a maxi skirt with a solid-colored v-neck and a (#7) floppy sun hat.
- Try wearing one with a button-down flannel or chambray top. Finish the glance with canvas sneakers and bright lipstick.
Tunic T-Shirts and Blouses
Products: Gap, Saks Off 5th, Saks Off 5th, Saks Off 5th
Tunic tops are perhaps the first thing that comes to mind when someone thinks of bohemian style.
Peasant tops arent at the peak of their popularity anymore, but are still regarded a staple for girls with earthy styles. Embroidered tops are grand for this also! Attempt checking at any vintage or retro stores in your area for whimsical originals.
- If wrinkled cotton or embroidery is too noisy for your taste, go for a basic t-shirt type tunic. Add a vest and skinny jeans and youre ready to go!
- A tunic top will forever glance awesome with a pair of (#13) flared jeans, platform sandals, and (#10) earthy jewelry.
- Wear a tunic with leggings, a (#15) scarf, and a pair of knee high boots.
Chunky, Earthy Jewelry
Products (clockwise from the top left):Last Call, Wolf & Badger, Popmap, Lord & Taylor, Baublebar, Shopbop, NOVICA
When it comes to bohemian jewelry, the more unique, the better.
Glance for original finds at the flea market, incense stores, Etsy, or even make some of your own! The key is to discover pieces made from natural elements love wood, coral, turquoise, feathers, or suede.
- Boho babe Lisa Bonet is a large fan of dangly earrings. My favorites styles are oversized hoops and endless hanging feathers.
- A statement necklace is another great layering piece that easily adds style to an otherwise bland outfit. Glance for intricately beaded styles or ones made from pounded metal and epoxy.
- Wood and metal bangles always glance fabulous and will always be in style.
Also, glance for cool cuffs that relax on your forearm, or even your bicep.
Products: Bloomingdales, Amazon, Zappos, Macys
Gladiator sandals are truly a godsend. Theyre the perfect answer to the flip flop dilemma theyre summery and light, yet they still glance polished and fashionable.
- I prefer my gladiators to stop correct before the ankle (probably because Im beautiful short), but knee-high gladiators are a bold and fabulous glance perfect for an outdoor concert or festival.
- Look for styles that are easy to slip on and off for maximum versatility.
Theres nothing more annoying than a pair of shoes that take five minutes to get on and off!
- High heel gladiators glance badass with dresses, skirts, or even skinny jeans.
Knit Cardigans and Sweaters
Products: Zara, Genuine People, Century 21, H&M
Cardigans and sweaters are a staple for any aesthetic, but for a bohemian flair, opt for lacy-knit, somewhat see-through versions.
They make grand layering pieces, and are light enough to wear during the drop, winter, and spring. The other awesome thing about this item is that you can discover a grand version at almost any one of your favorite retailers.
Heres a few ways I love to wear open-knit sweaters and cardigans:
- For a quick and simple outfit that would make Marianne Faithfull jealous, attempt wearing a tank top underneath an oversized crocheted sweater, along with a pair of (#13) bell bottoms and a high-heeled pair of clogs.
Wear with a (#3) hippie headband and a (#11) cross-body bag.
- Try wearing a cardigan or sweater over a chambray button down for a chic, layered glance. Pair with corduroys or skinny cargo pants, and cute (#2) ankle boots.
- Wear a lacy-knit cardigan over a short floral dress and belt the whole thing around your waist to tug the outfit together. Finish with a (#15) oversized scarf, knee-high boots, opaque tights, and legwarmers or knee-high socks for additional oomph!
Even More Style Guides:
Boho chic not your thing?
Check out our other style guides to discover the must-have pieces for YOUR aesthetic.
What Do You Think?
Do you own boho style? What pieces out of these do you own? Are there any essentials that we forgot? What do you ponder of bohemian fashion? What other must-have list styles would you love to see CF cover? Leave a comment and tell us what you think!!
Editors note: This post was originally published in ; it was completely revamped in (byLisa) with updated items and tips.
Tags :Ankle Boots, Bohemian, Flares, Geometric Print, Gladiator Sandals, Head Scarf, Maxi Dress, Maxi Skirts, Scarves, sun cap, Sunglasses, tunic, Vests
How to take in a shirt: cutting
Using the shirt that fits as a guide, trim away the sleeves and excess on the sides to make the shirt smaller.
BE Certain to add seam allowance more than I did would probably be excellent. (For the best fit, you may desire to add an additional half inch to the armholes on the back of the shirt only. As you can see, I didnt do that, but it would own been a excellent idea.)
Trim away the excess on the other side as well, making certain they match.
Next youll desire to cut below the sleeves. Lay your guide shirt on the ground, this time smoothing out the sleeve.
Youll see that at the armhole seam the sleeve makes an S shape. Its significant to smooth and spread that out as much as possible, then use that as a guide for cutting your new sleeves.
When you cut new sleeves from the oversized shirt, dont cut through the cuffs. Most mens shirts own two buttons on the cuff so even if they are a little large you can just button them a bit tighter and not own to worry about trying to sew them back together.
Turn your sleeves inside out and sew them back together along the bottom. Turn the shirt inside out and sew both sides together.